Ask Village Plaza Dental Designs if our services are right for youMake an Appointment
Receiving regular dental checkups and routine care is essential to maintaining the best oral health possible. However, because of dental phobia, many patients are nervous about visiting a dentist and put off getting routine dental care.
Dental phobia is not an uncommon occurrence. According to the Dental Organization for Conscious Sedation (DOCS Education), around 30 percent of the population steer clear of dentistry because of fear and anxiety. This anxiety may cause some to bypass important dental care, which can lead to serious oral health issues.
If you suffer from dental phobia, IV sedation is right for you. Many patients prefer it because it helps them relax while the dentist completes the treatment procedures that may have caused anxiety in the past.
Why Choose IV Sedation?
Intravenous (IV) sedation is a safe, comfortable procedure ideal for patients with moderate to high levels of anxiety, especially with those who have a phobia of dental injections.
Here are a few reasons why you should choose IV sedation:
- Compared to oral sedation or nitrous oxide, you'll reach a deeper level of sedation.
- If you suffer from a heavy gag reflex, IV sedation greatly reduces it.
- IV sedation takes effect rather quickly and can be customized to fit individual needs.
The Benefits of IV Sedation
- Eliminates pain sensation
- Easy to administer
- Quickly eliminates anxiety
- Induces a state of relaxation
- Well tolerated by most patients
- Allows for multiple treatments in one visit
The IV Sedation Process
Prior to your treatment, you'll receive medication through an intravenous line. This will place you in a calm, relaxed state. You'll maintain this relaxed state while the dental team completes your treatment.
Following the procedure:
- Someone should take you home. Once at home, rest for the remainder of the day.
- Avoid alcohol, and take medications only as directed.
- Avoid hazardous or strenuous activities. It's best not to eat a heavy meal immediately following your procedure.
- Avoid driving a motor vehicle for the rest of the day.
- If you encounter any issues or abnormalities, please call our office.
If you need dental care but have concerns about injections or heavy sedation Village Plaza Dental Designs can help you relax with intravenous sedation during your dental treatments. Call us at 863-859-6662.